A user reported that they had printed some documents but that they were not printing. Looking at the print server I saw that the printer was showing as Offline.
I was able to ping it as well as bring up the web interface. As a test I disabled SNMP checking for the printer’s port by doing the following:
- Right click the printer & select Properties.
- Select the Ports tab.
- Select the printer’s port & click Configure Port.
- Uncheck SNMP Status Enabled.
- Click OK.
The moment I did that the printer went to a Ready status & the documents printed. I have two printer server that both have this printer configured. They were both experiencing the issue so I believe the issue to be with the print servers.
OK, perhaps the SNMP string got changed on the device. I ran an SNMP test (Paessler has a good free one http://www.paessler.com/tools/snmptester) but it check out good using the SNMP string configured on the printer’s port.
So when in doubt use ProcMon. First, I set the printer’s port back to using SNMP checking then fired off ProcMon on the printer server. Within a minute the printer switched from Ready to Offline. I stopped ProcMon & begun the artful task of sifting through the capture. I noticed a section where the print server starting sending SNMP requests to all the printers. I saw a response for all the other printers but none for the one in question. Note below all I saw were UDP Send.
So for some reason the printer is not responding (or not responding timely. I didn’t feel like doing a full on packet capture). So like everything else if it’s not working, reboot. Once the printer came back up it I started another ProcMon capture. This time I saw the SNMP requests & responses (UDP Send & UDP Receive).
Sure I could have just left SNMP unchecked on the printer port but that wouldn’t have really resolved the issue; just masked it. Now if it continues to happen I may have to see if there is a newer firmware for the printer that resolves SNMP issues (or contact HP, ugh), but for now a printer reboot will do the trick. I also got to see a little more under-the-hood thanks to ProcMon.
I’m in the middle of updating all the HP printers on our printer servers from the various discrete drivers to the Universal Print Driver (UPD). After adding one of the printers & selecting Update Now from Automatic Configuration on the Device Settings tab I received two errors. The first said, “This command could not be completed because a printer communication error occurred.” After clicking OK the second error said, “The device ‘printername’ may not be able to print this document. Communication with the device could not be established to verify if this is a support HP device. Please specify a different device or load a driver specifically designed for this device.”
The issue was two-fold. In the web interface for the printer on the Networking>SNMP tab, SNMP was disabled. I enabled it. I also had to enable SNMP on the printer’s Port tab on the printer server. I went back to the Device Settings tab & selected Update Now again. This time I did not get an error.