<sarcasm>I love nothing more than dealing with printer drivers.</sarcasm>
After updating the driver for an HP LaserJet 4515 from the discrete PCL6 to UPD 5.2 users started reporting that the printer was not printing. The display was showing a message that said, “MANUALLY FEED MID WEIGHT LETTER”.
Looking at the tray settings on the printer all paper sizes & types were correct. Looking at the Device Settings tab for the printer on the print server the tray settings were correct as well.
The issue turned out to be that the paper type in the driver was set as to Mid-Weight 96-110g by default.
To fix do the following.
- Right click on the printer & select Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click Printing Defaults.
- Select the Paper/Quality tab.
- Click the arrow in the Paper type drop-down & select More.
- Expand Type is & select Unspecified.
- Select the General tab & click Printing Preferences.
- Repeat the same steps for the Paper type.
- Click OK through all remaining dialog boxes.