Archive

Archive for March 17, 2017

Quick Post: Windows Update Error 80073712

March 17, 2017 Leave a comment

When installing a Windows Update, you receive an Error Code 80073712.

According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821, 80073712 is ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT The component store is in an inconsistent state.

From KB947821 I downloaded & ran the tool for my version of Windows. It can take a while.

When it was finished, I checked C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log. It found one error.

Doing a Bing search for part of the bad manifest, I was able to determine it was KB3150513. I manually downloaded the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog (http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3150513) then installed it on the computer. No more error!

Side note:

I didn’t have to do this but may have to also reset the Windows Update Components (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058)

Advertisements

Backlog: ODBC Connection Failed

March 17, 2017 Leave a comment

So you’ve got a Microsoft Access database with linked tables to a SQL server that looks something like this.

When opening one of the linked table you get an error that says, “ODBC–connection to ‘DP’ failed”.

When you click OK you get a message that says, “Microsoft Access can’t open the table in Datasheet view”.

Hmm, what up with the ODBC connection called “DP”? What say you Procmon?

Result = NAME NOT FOUND. Oh, the ODBC connection doesn’t exist. Create the ODBC connection & you are good to go.

I admit that you could have also just gone & looked at the ODBC connections in the Control Panel to figure out it doesn’t exist but it was really just an excuse to use Procmon.

Backlog: ZIP instead of XLSX

March 17, 2017 Leave a comment

As an ode to Stephen Colbert this is Part 1 of my open-ended series…“Backlog”. ZIP instead of XLSX! These will admittedly be old topics but I’m clearing out a “backlog” of draft blog posts.

I got a report from a user that was trying to download an Excel file from our company’s Intranet that it was prompting him to save it instead of just opening it as it always has. Taking a look at it I see that it is prompting to open it however the file type is being identified as a zip file.

If I click Open I get the prompt the user was talking about where Save or Cancel are the only options.

Luckily since this is an internal web server it can be fixed. The issue is that the web server does not know how to handle the XLSX file type (i.e. MIME type). To fix this use the following steps to add the MIME type for the XLSX MIME type as well as a few others listed at the end.

  • Open IIS Manager.
  • Right click Servername & select Properties.
  • Click the MIME Types button.
  • Click New.
  • In the Extension field type xlsx
  • In the MIME type field type

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet

Categories: Computers Tags: , , ,
%d bloggers like this: