Archive

Archive for July, 2011

Error Renaming Network Card

July 26, 2011 3 comments

After installing KB2521220 on a server I noticed that my NICs no longer had static IP addresses & were picking up IP addresses from DHCP. Digging a little deeper I noticed that the NICs were all identified as new devices. Kind of like if you were to move a NIC from one slot to the other. It’s the same NIC but the OS identified it as a new device.


Before


After

I open Network Connections (ncpa.cpl) & see that the two NICs I had renamed are back to the default (Local Area Connection, Local Area Connection 2, etc.). I right click to rename the first one & get an error that says, “Cannot rename this connection. A connection with the name you specified already exists. Specify a different name.”

I do a little Binging (yeah, I said it) & come across KB269155. It basically talks about orphaned devices & how to remove them. Following Method 1 in the article I see the six orphaned NICs.

  • From a command prompt type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
  • Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc).
  • Click View>Show hidden devices.


I right click each of the orphaned NICs & select Uninstall. (Do not uninstall the driver!!!) After that I’m able to go back & rename my NICs.

Error Updating Printer Settings

July 11, 2011 2 comments

I’m in the middle of updating all the HP printers on our printer servers from the various discrete drivers to the Universal Print Driver (UPD). After adding one of the printers & selecting Update Now from Automatic Configuration on the Device Settings tab I received two errors. The first said, “This command could not be completed because a printer communication error occurred.” After clicking OK the second error said, “The device ‘printername’ may not be able to print this document. Communication with the device could not be established to verify if this is a support HP device. Please specify a different device or load a driver specifically designed for this device.”

The issue was two-fold. In the web interface for the printer on the Networking>SNMP tab, SNMP was disabled. I enabled it.  I also had to enable SNMP on the printer’s Port tab on the printer server. I went back to the Device Settings tab & selected Update Now again. This time I did not get an error.

Adobe Reader Error Opening a PDF

July 9, 2011 77 comments

I recently installed version 10.1.0 of Adobe Reader X on my Terminal Servers. The next day I start getting reports from users that they are unable to open some PDF files. They get an error that says, “Before proceeding you must first launch Adobe Acrobat and accept the End User License Agreement.”

Error

Strange seeing as how the Terminal Servers don’t have Adobe Acrobat. I hop on the same server as one of the users & can open several PDFs just fine. I have them send me the file they are having trouble with & sure enough I get the same error. I log back in using a Domain Admin account & once again get the error.

So as Mark Russinovich always says…when in doubt, run Process Monitor. I run ProcMon & capture the error. The first thing I always search for is “Denied”. None are in the capture. To make it a little easier to analyze I filter to include only the AcroRd32.exe process. Then to clean it up a little more I exclude all “SUCCESS” results.

Now that the number of events is a little more manageable. I scroll through them & notice one that says HKLM\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe
Acrobat\10.0\AdobeViewer\EULAAcceptedForBrowser NAME NOT FOUND. Hmmm…interesting.

ProcMon

I open Regedit & browse to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Adobe. Since it doesn’t exist I create the “Adobe Acrobat\10.0\AdobeViewer” key structure. Then I create a DWORD called “EULAAcceptedForBrowser” & set the Value Data to 1. I try the file again & it opens right up.

If you prefer, use the link below to download the fix in a reg file.

32bit version – https://www.box.com/s/fc81f4cfb55740fb723c

64bit version – https://www.box.com/s/5bc9cd5e536e498df533

<sarcasm>Nice work Adobe. Great product.</sarcasm>

UPDATE: In searching around a little more I came across this post on an Adobe Forum. Apparently if a PDF file has CR (that’s capital C capital R) anywhere in the filename (e.g. 123CR456.pdf or just CR.pdf) it will cause the EULA error to pop up. I went back & can confirm that all the PDF files that my users reported issues with all had CR somewhere in the filename. Nice find to GiaKzter for noticing the filename connection. That would explain why it is only for some files.

UPDATE: Thanks to Loren Amelang. The CR issue is related to the entire path not just the filename. See her comment below for an example. Thank you Adobe, can I have another. Thank you Adobe, can I have another…

%d bloggers like this: