Error Uninstalling Office 2000 on a Terminal Server
Description - When removing Office 2000 from a Terminal Server running in application mode you receive an error that says, “Some default settings in Microsoft Office 2000 setup do not work properly on a Windows Terminal Server. To install Office on Terminal Server, you must use the instructions and tools available in your Office 2000 Resource Kit or at http://www.microsoft.com/Office/ORK.” You may also receive this error when users try to run one of the Office applications.
Cause – Office was installed prior to the Terminal Server being switched to run in application mode and the Terminal Server transform was not used.
Solution – Manually remove Office 2000 then reinstall.
- Download & install the Office 2000 Resource Kit.
- Browse to C:\Program Files\ORKTools\ToolBox\Tools\Office Removal Wizard & run OFFCLN9.EXE.
- Delete any remaining Office folders such as C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office.
- Download & install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
- Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility & remove the Office 2000 entry.
- Copy the TermSrvr.mst file from C:\Program Files\ORKTools\ToolBox\Tools\Terminal Server Tools to the location of the Office 2000 setup files.
- Click Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Add New Programs.
- Browse to the location of the Office 2000 setup files & run setup.exe using the transform file.
- \\<servername>\<share>\SETUP.EXE TRANSFORMS=\\<servername>\<share>\TermSrvr.mst